Golden Empire Flying Association
The Bill Frisbie Memorial Scholarship
Thanks to a very genererous donation by Joan Frisbie, we're naming the 2018 scholarship after her husband, Bill Frisbie. To learn more about Bill, click here.
- Applicants must be at least 16 years old.
- We are looking for an applicant that has demonstrated a passion for aviation.
- We are offering the scholarship to a wide geographic area in Northern
California, with a preference of applications within 25 miles of Grass
- The scholarship is to be primarily used for flight time, including pre
and post flight briefings with the instructor, with an exception for up to
$100 for necessary study materials.
- GEFA has committed to a Mentor program which will select a "Chief
Mentor." All of the members are enthusiastic about sharing their passion
for aviation, and have all voiced their desire to help guide an applicant
through the learning process.
- The scholarship recipient can choose any flight school or free-lance
instructor with approval of the Scholarship Committee and guidance from the
- We are going to award a $5,000.00 scholarship, in two stages: An initial amount of $2,500 to be augmented with up to another $2,500.00 (at the discretion of the committee) after the recipient's solo flight and passing the FAA written exam.
An online application can be found here.
Each year, Nevada County's youth also have opportunities to experience flying for free. Watch for information about Young Eagles Day this summer at the Nevada County Airport in Grass Valley; and for information about Airfest, held the second weekend in July.