Golden Empire Flying Association
The John Pichitino Memorial Scholarship
Thanks to a generous donation from Sylvia Pichitino, family, friends and many members of the flying community, this year GEFA is pleased to announce the “John M. Pichitino Memorial Scholarship” in honor of John Pichitino. For more information about John Pichitino, please click here.
- Applicants must be at least 16 years old.
- We are looking for an applicant that has demonstrated a passion for aviation.
- We are offering the scholarship to a wide geographic area in Northern
California, with a preference of applications within 25 miles of Grass
- The scholarship is to be primarily used for flight time, including pre
and post flight briefings with the instructor, with an exception for up to
$100 for necessary study materials.
- GEFA has committed to a Mentor program which will select a "Chief
Mentor." All of the members are enthusiastic about sharing their passion
for aviation, and have all voiced their desire to help guide an applicant
through the learning process.
- The scholarship recipient can choose any flight school or free-lance
instructor with approval of the Scholarship Committee and guidance from the
- We are going to award up to $9,000.00 for scholarships, dependent on how many scholarships we award this year, with an initial amount to be determined and then augmented with a secondary amount (at the discretion of the committee) after the recipient's solo flight and passing the FAA written exam.
An online application can be found here.
Each year, Nevada County's youth also have opportunities to experience flying for free. Watch for information about Young Eagles Day this summer at the Nevada County Airport in Grass Valley; and for information about Airfest, held the second weekend in July.