Golden Empire Flying Association
Ray Anderson- GEFA Scholarship Chairperson
After a wonderful tenure as the Scholarship Chairperson, Carol Andrews has decided to retire from the committee and we thank her for her incredible dedication and contributions to GEFA and the community. Ray Anderson has been appointed to be the new Chairperson, and with help from his fellow members, will endeaver to continue Carol's great heritage.
This year marks some exciting new changes to our scholarship program at GEFA:
- The age limit for a scholarship this year is 16 and up. We have
removed the prior upper age limit.
- We are looking for an applicant that has demonstrated a passion for aviation.
- We are offering the scholarship to a wider geographic area than ever
before, with a preference of applications within 25 miles of Grass
- The scholarship is to be primarily used for flight time, including pre
and post flight briefings with the instructor, with an exception for up to
$100 for necessary study materials.
- GEFA has committed to a Mentor program which will select a "Chief
Mentor" and all of the members are enthusiastic about sharing their passion
for aviation, and have all voiced their desire to help guide an applicant
through the learning process.
- The scholarship recipient can choose any flight school or free-lance
instructor with approval of the Scholarship Committee and guidance from the
- We have removed the previous requirement for the recipient to match the
funds (1/3 for every 2/3 GEFA has paid), mindful of the expense of learning
- We are going to award a $5,000.00 scholarship, in two stages: An initial amount of $2,500 to be augmented with up to another $2,500.00 (at the discretion of the committee) after the recipient solo's and passes the FAA written exam.
An online application can be found here. Deadline for submission of entry to the school's scholarship department is May 1st, with the winner notified in June.
Each year, Nevada County's youth also have opportunities to experience flying for free. Watch for information about Young Eagles Day this summer at the Nevada County Airport in Grass Valley; and for information about Airfest, held the second weekend in July.
Ray Anderson is a pilot and member of Golden Empire Flying Association.
Here we will put links that you may find usefulBe a Pilot